My name is Melissa Seideman. I currently teach 11th grade U.S. History, 12th grade Government/Economics, and AP Government and Politics in New York. I have been teaching for six years in both New York and Pennsylvania. I have experience teaching U.S. History (7th, 8th, and 11th grade), Economics, AP Government and Politics, Global II, Sociology, and U.S. History through Film.
I grew up in Boonton New Jersey. I earned a Bachelors Degree in Social Studies Education at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York. While teaching full-time in both Geneva, NY and Trumansburg, NY I earned my Master’s Degree in Inclusive Special Education at the University of New England. My husband and I live in Poughkeepsie, NY with our two adorable rescue dogs.
My goal is to help my students fall in love with history and technology the way I have. I believe that technology reaches students in a way that other mediums can not. It ignites a fire, a desire to learn, and gives them the ability to express themselves in meaningful ways.
I started this blog as a professional outlet to share my ideas and reflect on my teaching practice. My goal is that my blog can provide teachers with resources that can excite a student’s love of learning. I am a strong advocate that technology can meet student needs, engages them, and help them to be the best learner they can be.
I am a co-leader of #sschat on Twitter. Please join us for an engaging chat with wonderful social studies teachers on Monday Night’s at 7 PM EST. Follow the hashtag #sschat I hope to see you there!
Email Me: Here
- Presentation on Mobile Learning at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), November 21-23, 2013 in St.Louis, Missouri.
- Presentation on Infusing technology into your teaching at Haldane High School, Cold Spring, NY. February 13, 2012
- Presentation on mobile learning in the classroom at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), November 16-18, 2012 in Seattle, Washington.
- My Big Campus, Teacher Trainer June 2012-Present
- Presentation to student-teachers at Ithaca College “Technology and the Classroom.” April 12, 2012 in Ithaca, NY
- Presented at Social Media Week about “The Classroom of the Future: How Social Media can Better Our Education System?” February 14, 2012 in New York, NY.
- Video presentation: click here
- Article in Differences Magazine about “It will be Cool to Text + Tweet in Class Soon.”
- Article in the Huffington Post about “The Classroom of the Future”
- Presented Digital Storytelling Presentation at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) Conference in Washington D.C. December 2nd-4th, 2011
Taught a digital storytelling “in-house” workshop at South Western High School in Hanover PA July 26, 2011
- National Endowment for the Humanities Landmarks of American History and Culture Workshop, Grant for the summer conference on the Impact of the Industrial Revolution, July 17-22, 2011 at Dearborn, Michigan
- Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, Grant for the summer seminar on Teaching Digital History at Rice University, Houston, TX, from July 25 to 31, 2010.