About Me

My name is Melissa Seideman. I currently teach 11th grade U.S. History, 12th grade Government/Economics, and AP Government and Politics in New York.  I have been teaching for six years in both New York and Pennsylvania. I have experience teaching U.S. History (7th, 8th, and 11th grade), Economics, AP Government and Politics, Global II, Sociology, and U.S. History through Film.

I grew up in Boonton New Jersey. I earned a Bachelors Degree in Social Studies Education at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York. While teaching full-time in both Geneva, NY and Trumansburg, NY I earned my Master’s Degree in Inclusive Special Education at the University of New England. My husband and I live in Poughkeepsie, NY with our two adorable rescue dogs.

My goal is to help my students fall in love with history and technology the way I have.  I believe that technology reaches students in a way that other mediums can not.  It ignites a fire, a desire to learn, and gives them the ability to express themselves in meaningful ways.

I started this blog as a professional outlet to share my ideas and reflect on my teaching practice. My goal is that my blog can provide teachers with resources that can excite a student’s love of learning. I am a strong advocate that technology can meet student needs, engages them, and help them to be the best learner they can be.

PicCollageI am a co-leader of #sschat on Twitter. Please join us for an engaging chat with wonderful social studies teachers on Monday Night’s at 7 PM EST. Follow the hashtag #sschat I hope to see you there!

Contact Me

Melissa Seideman 

Email Me: Here 

Courtesy of ProkoschPhotography.com

PicCollage

Experience 

• Presentation on Mobile Learning at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), November 21-23, 2013 in St.Louis, Missouri.
  • Presentation on Infusing technology into your teaching at Haldane High School, Cold Spring, NY. February  13, 2012
  • Presentation on mobile learning in the classroom at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), November 16-18, 2012 in Seattle, Washington.
  • My Big Campus, Teacher Trainer June 2012-Present
  • Presentation to student-teachers at Ithaca College “Technology and the Classroom.” April 12, 2012 in Ithaca, NY
  • Presented at Social Media Week about “The Classroom of the Future: How Social Media can Better Our Education System?” February 14, 2012 in New York, NY.

- Video presentation: click here

- Article in Differences Magazine about “It will be Cool to Text + Tweet in Class Soon.”

- Article in the Huffington Post about “The Classroom of the Future”

• Presented Digital Storytelling Presentation at the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) Conference in Washington D.C. December 2nd-4th, 2011
  • Courtesy of ProkoschPhotography.com

Taught a digital storytelling “in-house” workshop at South Western High School in Hanover PA July 26, 2011

• National Endowment for the Humanities Landmarks of American History and Culture Workshop, Grant for the summer conference on the Impact of the Industrial Revolution, July 17-22, 2011 at Dearborn, Michigan
  • Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, Grant for the summer seminar on Teaching Digital History at Rice University, Houston, TX, from July 25 to 31, 2010.

One thought on “About Me

1. Pingback: Tanyella Allison: The Classroom of the Future Rhonn Mitchell Rhonn Laighton Mitchell