Break a Norm Project

This is a two page project on breaking a norm for my crime and deviance unit. Students select a norm to break, break it, and then write response to norm break. There is a one page provided rubric to grade their responses. I typically spend one whole class period discussing their norm break and the purpose of norms after they break them. This is one of my student’s favorite

lessons all year! I tell them the norm has to be a norm break for them and that it must be school appropriate. I also send an email to staff and clear it with my administration before we break them. It was designed in Word and can be modified for your classroom.

Examples of Norm Breaks:
For example, one student wore socks all day instead of shoes,another cursed at a teacher and got thrown out of class (cleared ahead of time with the teacher), another non-athletic student wore running gear all day, another wore a prom dress to school, another student wore a bathing suit and towel all day, one went as a gothic student.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sociology-Break-a-Norm-Project-3917092
print