Use Google Forms to Make Grading More Efficient

I have been using Google Forms  for a little over a year now. I originally used it in some basic ways like making a websearch assignments, but this past semester I “fell in love” and slightly became obsessed with Google Forms as a rubric. I now use google forms for every rubric! It gets easier as you create them because then you always have them to modify and adapt!

I have used Google forms in multiple ways this year: from creating rubrics for projects, to student information logs, to contact with parents, rubrics, and even grading homework assignments. Google Form is a WONDERFUL  resource that is underutilized in education.

Having all this information on one Google form spreadsheet can save me time and frustration. Some advantages to using forms is that it will be available electronically from any computer, no need to copy, and you save trees.

Video Introduction to Google Forms:  Watch the video to make rubrics and save valuable time!

Tips

• I share the url with my class online on our class website (My Big Campus) so they can “see the rubric” no printing rubrics
  • I use the form to grade during class presentations on my phone–> so they are graded when class is over
  • I print the spreadsheet after I grade and cut each student’s grade into a paper strip and distribute the strip to each kid. I usually use 3 pieces of paper for rubrics instead of 33 and another bonus is I always have a paper trail!
  • Kate  @KtBkr4 suggested instead of names enter numbers and then share the whole form with the class—- ie no paper at all! It was
  • If you have questions feel free to tweet me @mseideman

Here are some links to some useful forms I created. Feel free to share and modify.

Great post from the Pursuit of Technology Integration written by Michael Zimmer on how administrators could use Google Forms in classroom informal walkthroughs. Here is his sample form: ” Here is one already created that you could use as an example to start with.”  Nice idea and I bet it makes walkthroughs a lot easier for administrators

print

3 Comments
  1. This is great stuff. As a middle school Social Studies teacher, I’ve used Forms for anecdotal notes and parent contact info but haven’t even thought about using it for rubrics. Great idea and I appreciate the sample links. Will share this with my colleagues for sure.

2. Hi Melissa–Do you do this in addition to leaving comments on the essays? I can see how the rubric would be helpful, but how would students know where in the essay they have specific issues? Thanks for sharing this…Ted

3. I print the strips of paper with comments. I’ve numbered comments on the form and then placed the number on their paper so students could see where they had issues.