Lesson: Analyzing Credit Card Offers

I teach senior economics, most of my seniors by this point are either accepted into college or checked out of school. As much as I’d hate to admit it but “senioritis” is in full swing. I am trying my very best to keep them motivated and engaged. Today they were so engaged and on-task with analyzing credit card offers lesson. I had each student in a group of four with different credit card offers, including the fine print as well as the promotional incentives.

In groups, they had to compare incentives, APR’s, balance transfer fees, annual fees, etc between four different credit card offers. They were able to read the fine print of each offer, compare rates, and be a more informed consumer. They were shocked how the fees increased if you failed to make a payment as well as all the stipulations associated with the account. They completed a worksheet as they analyzed each credit card offer. Ultimately, they came away with the answer to my essencial question: What advice would you give to the average consumer who uses a credit card?

For more information, check out my lesson on Teacher’s Pay Teachers.

Analyzing Credit Card Offers on PhotoPeach

print