Student Created: Interest Group PSA Videos

This is the second year I assigned a public service announcement documentary film project to my AP Government students. I was really impressed with my students last year and saved so many sample projects to show this years students but my students projects this year blew last years out of the water. This is attributed to the fact that “I” knew what I was doing in terms of scaffolding and previewing each step of the process.

What is the assignment? 
My AP Government needed to learn about interest groups and their effect on the government. Instead of a typical lecture or a boring powerpoint project, my students created 2-4 minute public service  announcement videos trying to advocate their particular interest group.
How did they create them?
My students picked their partner and their interest group from a list. I am all about student choice and ownership! For homework, they researched their interest group. On Friday they spent the entire period creating a google doc. powerpoint in which both partners were able to work on a specific part of the project at the same time. On Monday students created their Animoto video projects by saving their powerpoint as a JPG and adding effects/music.
The Challenge 
I had my class vote for the “best” interest group video. Here are the top three videos voted by my class. The best video based on the student vote won bragging rights and lunch!

Handouts

How to make the video? 

Project Assignment 

print
6 Comments
  1. Hi,

This is my first year at a new school teaching AP Government. I love this activity. Is there any way to get an instruction sheet and a rubric?

Thanks,
    Colleen Bonner

2. This is a great idea and the kids really did fabulous work. Can you tell us more about the way you scaffolded this and how long you gave your students to complete the project? If you can post the instructions and rubric, that would be really helpful.

3. It is posted now on the blog. Please feel free to use and modify. Make sure you create Animoto education accounts.

4. Pingback: Student created videos made easy | Teacher Education Update