Instead of telling your student’s who you are SHOW them

I learned from Mrs. Jee about a wonderful idea to create an Animoto as an introduction “about me” video for the first week of school. I absolutly loved the idea and stayed up way past my bedtime to create it.

Mrs. Jee said she “loved  @royanlee‘s idea to use Animoto to introduce yourself to kids on the 1st day of school. They get a multifaceted sense of who you are. Animoto’s use of pictures, text, and storyline is much more effective than a hastily muttered five minute speech.” After I made my first week introduction video, Mrs. Lindinger was also inspired. Check out her video below!

Back to School Night Idea

Mrs. Jee and I also made a much shorter version for back to school night. I can’t think of a better way to “tell” parents who you are and what you are about. My back to school night version will be a shorter version with images and pictures of my students participating in my classroom. I also plan on linking the video to a QR code to send home to parents who can not attend the back to school night. Thanks for the great idea @mrsjjee @royanlee Another reason I love twitter!

Here is My About Me Introduction Video:

Here is Mrs. Jee’s Video

Here is Mrs. Lindinger’s video

What is Animoto?

Animoto is a simple program online to create simple videos from pictures, sound, text, and  existing video clips. It makes it possible to quickly create a video using still images, music, and text. Animoto  is constantly updating its features as well as background options for your video slideshow.  If you can make a slideshow presentation, you can make a video using Animoto Video Slideshows.

I used Animoto before for a student project on a PSA assignment on interest groups. Here is a previous post.

print
5 Comments
  1. I looked at the veterans project and was introduced in how you managed to insert so much text? What features in Animoto did you use?

2. Yes- I had my entire class do their Animoto project using powerpoint. setting up images, screenshots, tying etc. when they were completely done they saved it as a jpg instead of ppt. They then uploaded each image to Animoto added a couple effects, a few words, and a song. It was much quicker since they are familiar with ppt. I actually have all my classes do that instead of using iMovie first!

3. I thought you might have used PowerPoint–great idea. I suppose it can be easier than using iMovie or MovieMaker. The final video is very moving, and students probably learned a lot through their hands-on engagement in making it. Animoto has made uses when combined with other tools to get the needed images before uploading. Thanks for sharing. By the way, do you like using Edublogs as opposed to other blogging tools? Do other teachers in your school use Edublogs?

4. Yes- they loved their Animoto projects. That Veteran project was the best project voted by my two class periods. I am the only teacher I know who uses EDU blogs or blogs in general. I like it a lot and use it for this blog. My class also uses edu blogs. I find it very easy to show kids and have them blog. I’ve used it with 7th through 12th graders.

5. Your students are lucky to have you as a teacher! You offer them lots of opportunities to learn and express themselves in different ways using contemporary tools, while learning history lessons.