Thank You: 40,000+ Views!

I know 40,000+ may not sound like a lot of views compared to other bloggers, but for me that number is tremendous. I got excited the first time it broke 1,000 and now I am averaging that in three days. My hope is that it continues to grow and improve our practice.

I started this blog when I got frustrated when I would share ideas with other teachers and it seemed like no one had time to listen or implement them. I was once asked by a former principal to “change the name of the blog, because it was insulting to other history teachers in my department (which means someone complained).” That blew my mind and you can actually tell when that event occurred because  I stopped blogging for almost two months. When I created the name I was never trying to insult any teacher but i thought it was a clever. I NEVER changed the name because I thought it showed that I am a different kind of teacher that’s willing to push the envelop. That was the only time I rebelled against an administrator (to this date).

I started this blog as a professional outlet to share my ideas and reflect on my teaching practice. My goal is that my blog can provide teachers with resources that can excite a student’s love of learning. I have met some amazing educators, fellow bloggers, and people I now call friends due to my blog.   I am now MORE excited to attend conferences because I am no longer just improving my own practice but helping to share resources and ideas with other teachers.  Thanks for following my blog and here’s to another 40,000+ views!

print
5 Comments
  1. Dear Melissa,

How wonderful. Your story gives hope to all of us who are just starting out. You are an inspiration to me–and to so many others. Thank you for your example in how to combine history and technology creatively.

Now, take some time to relax!

Dave Lambert
    @LearningProf

2. Congratulations Melissa!

I’m glad you didn’t change your blog title! Having a blog title that grabs attention is a good thing. Our organizations, and work colleagues, aren’t always going to understand why we do what we do and that’s okay. As long as we’re learning and helping others — I’m cool with that.

3. Thanks Sue. It’s sad we work in a profession where that occurs. I wish it was more collaborative and support sometimes! I think that’s why twitter, #sschat, and my blog has helped me

4. Yes Melissa, it is sad that it happens. The reality is it isn’t really about us but more about how they are being asked to change.

My approach was to focus on sharing and helping people globally rather than let it frustrate me. I’m now lucky enough to work for an organization that encourages and supports me to do what I do.