Millennials “NOT” Civically Engaged!

I just read a interesting article entitled “Millennials just might not be such a special bunch after all,” written by Michelle Healy in the USA Today. The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that Millennials (born 1982-2000) are “more civically and politically disengaged” as compared to Generation X (1962-1981) and Baby Boomers ((1946-1961). As a member of the millennial generation, I find myself very critical of this study. I think students and young adults are way more engaged and civically engaged today due to the power of social media and the Internet. 

I think of the most recent example of Kony 2012 about the invisible children located in Uganda, the Sudan, and the Congo. As a teacher my kids came into school and wanted to talk about it and GET INVOLVED. Some of my students made posters to make more people aware of it, shared it with social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, or Tumbler, and were discussing their outrage by the topic.

The article goes on to say that students born 1982-2000 are more likely to volunteer. The study also notes a decline in racism and prejudice based on sex, gender, and race. Our generation is showing signs of our changing culture and society. The power of social media has made more people aware of injustices in the world and it has helped to bridge the gap between the home and school environment.

Article Citation: Healy, Michelle. “Millennials Just Might Not Be Such a Special Bunch after All.” USA Today. Gannett, 16 Mar. 2012. Web. 25 Mar. 2012. <http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2012-03-16-Millennials-altruism-vs-boomers_ST_U.htm>.

Image Citation

print
One Comment