Embrace Technology

The first semester is winding down and I would like to create an interesting and engaging lesson to integrate technology into the first week of school. I found a video called a A vision of students today. This is a video organized by Professor Wesch from the Digital Ethnography at Kansas State University.

My first glace at this video made me reflect on my own teaching and how the teaching profession is not the same as when I went to school. Our students are immersed in technology and we as teachers need to use the “beast” to our advantage. All too often teachers fall stray to reading and teaching from the textbook and the chalk board. We as teachers need to embrace technology and find creative ways to bring it into the classroom. I have been following a few blogs that have been soo helpful in creating and advancing my own career (listed below).

1. Free Technology for Teachers (my life line to technology the past year).

2. Technology Tidbits

3. Teachpaperless (creative ideas and interesting ways to help the environment; all while being a creative and engaging teacher)

I plan on using a A vision of students today in my classroom on the second day of school. I am going to use this video as an activator to start the idea of how students learn and ways to use successfully use technology within the classroom. I am going to create a google doc form and have all my students reflect and discuss ways we can make our classroom, our school. and our society integrated with technology.

My hope is through a few technology programs like Edmodo, Google Docs, Wiki’s and Blogs I can engage my students to see the value of technology beyond facebook, twitter, and youtube.

print